Thursday, March 11, 2010

WIC

Just reading those three letters should give you shivers. SHIVERS. (Haley, are you shaking in your boots?)

This morning I got up early, ready to take care of my two boys who are sick again. Yesterday was kind of rough and our dr's appointment wasn't exactly a tea party so I bought myself some cookies at the grocery store later. You know, I was feeling sorry for myself and needed a pick up. So today I got up early with one sick boy, put him to sleep and then my other sick boy got up. In the rush to get ready, provide nursing care, etc. I ate three cookies for breakfast and packed a peanut butter and honey sandwich and banana for Talmage. The picture perfect balanced meal. We got to WIC on time (that's right, I brought my sick boys out to cough on your kids), waited for 35 minutes, got into a room, waited another 35 minutes before we saw anybody. When the 'nutritionist' finally came in, she said, "I hope you haven't been waiting long, it's kind of dead this morning" !!!! We went through all our specs and then she suggested we make some health goals. "No, we are FINE." I gritted between my teeth, as I thought, I probably know more about nutrition and have more healthy habits then all of you ...... ...... ....... women who work here. (Those aren't bad words, just not nice words.) We finally got out of there, 2 hours after we arrived. Once again, feeling sorry for myself, we drove through McDonalds, shared a fry with Talmage and drank some diet coke. We got home, made some Macaroni and Cheese for lunch and then put the boys down for naps. It wasn't until I was laying down with Talmage that I reflected on my nutritionally 'superior' habits. Cookies, fries, coke, mac and cheese? YUCK! Of course, most days are good and we're on track: nutritionally, emotionally, spiritually, ecumenically, etc. J/K. Sick days throw me off.
So, to you crazy cranky ladies at WIC, I will make a health goal:
I will stop going to WIC, it is bad for my health.

4 comments:

Becky said...

Okay, I laughed the whole way through this post!! As I recall, some of those WIC ladies in Provo were overweight which I thought was strange. Sorry about the sickies. Love the peaches pic.

Becky said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Grace Coleman said...

AWESOME!!! I LOVE THE UPDATES!!! MORE MORE!!!!

Keshia said...

Hilarious! You know how much I love WIC...