Sunday, January 23, 2011

Potty Trained!


So...in my last post I mentioned that we were going to start potty training Talmage. We've been encouraging him to go to the bathroom for a while, but he stubbornly resisted. Finally, out of desperation and disgust for changing diapers, we went to the store and bought some underwear. He cried when I took off his diaper, "No! Not my diaper." ha, huge giveaway he had been playing us all along. Right off the bat, he's been almost 100% in the #1 category. It took a couple of days for #2 to make it into the toilet, but with some major encouragement and an ice cream cake (that my fabulous mom bought) we've been perfect for almost a week. Thank you Talmage. and Thank you Grandma for all the cheering and hullabaloo...Talmage loves it.
This foray into body excrements has really jolted my cleaning radar. If anything, I'm much more motivated to clean the bathroom (my least favorite chore). It also has me wondering if we should just potty train Logan right now. He was very interested in Talmage's potty training experience and has been trying to change his own diaper for months now. Anyways, I'm writing this down to tell you a funny story....
When Talmage has gone "big poo poo in the big potty" we call Truston and cheer and congratulate over the phone, etc. So earlier this week, we called Truston and he didn't answer. About an hour later, my phone rang and Talmage grabbed it and shouted into the phone, "DAD! I WENT BIG POO POO IN THE BIG POTTY!!!" I was laughing in the background, thinking it was probably funny for Truston when I heard Talmage say, "huh? ahhhh" and then he handed me the phone. Much to our surprise it was somebody returning a phone call from the doctor's office. I still thought it was funny, and I couldn't help thinking that it had probably made her day. I mean, if an unsuspecting toddler had shared such exciting news with you...wouldn't it make your day?

3 comments:

Leslie said...

Hahahaha! What a great story about the excitment of toddlers! I'm sure the lady on the phone was laughing too. Congrats on the potty training. And yup, you will be cleaning the bathrooms more. Like, every day... We now keep chlorox wipes in the bathroom and make the boys "clean" everyday as part of their chores. I still have to go back and redo the cleaning, but they are trying to be a little more careful now too.

Sarah Culp said...

That is awesome! He should be proud and share it with whoever!

Porters said...

oh talmage that is fabulous..I love it. I love the excitement. What a funny kid.